[Kmymoney] Question re: investment entries from a new user of KMyMoney

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 31 20:53:25 UTC 2013

On 2013.10.31 16:22, Jane Hadley wrote:
> Hello - I am switching from Quicken to KMyMoney. So far it looks as
> if KMyMoney will meet my needs except for this one issue I am having.
Great.

> I am using KMyMoney 3.5.10 on a Ubuntu 10.04 Gnome desktop.
3.5.10 is the KDE version, not the KMyMoney version, which is hopefully
4.6.x but probably 4.5.x on that version of Ubuntu.  4.6.4 is the
absolute latest, but was only released very recently.  (However, unless
this turns out to be a bug which is fixed in a later version it
shouldn't matter.

> I have several mutual funds with Fidelity.  I set up a Fidelity
> account in KMyMoney. Then in the ledger, I did a "Buy Shares" and
> entered the number of shares and the price per share for my
> particular fund, say, Total Market Index. The ledger perfectly
> reflected this.
Did you do this in the Investment account?  Did the purchase amount get
appropriately removed from the Brokerage account?

> That is, for example, it showed 245 shares at $10 a share and a total
> value of $2,450. It shows the "Balance" as being 245, so obviously
> "Balance" is a share balance, not a value balance.
That is correct.  Balances in Investment accounts are numbers of
shares.  However, there should be an "Investment Value" at the bottom
of the ledger, which should show the cash value of the investments.  Is
that showing $245 or $2,450.00?

> That's OK with me except that when you go to the Asset view or the
> Account view or the Net Worth report, the figures given are the share
> balances (the 245) not the value ($2,450). And they have dollar signs
> in front of them, which is obviously not appropriate for a share
> balance.
I think you are correct that those should really be cash value not
share counts.

> The bar at the top of the Account view gives you a choice of tabs:
> Total Value or Total Balance. But both of these show the share
> balance: 245 for this mutual fund.
My account view has tabs for List and Icons.  Is this the Account View
select from the list of icons on the left?

> The Net Worth also uses the share balance. It shows a checking
> account balance of $1,200, which is correct, but then shows a mutual
> fund balance of $245, which is incorrect. The Total Market Index
> mutual fund balance should be $2,450 for a total net worth of $3,650,
> not $1,445. So obviously I am not getting a valid picture of the
> value of my assets.
This sounds like there is a wrong share value stored someplace.  Start
by going back to the Invesment account ledger and re-checking the
transaction for correct price-per-share.  If that is OK, select
Tools/Prices... from the menu.  Select the fund (you only have the one,
right?) by entering enough of its name in the search bar so it is the
only fund showing, then click "Show all stored prices."  I believe
there should only be the purchase price, unless you have added more.
Let us know if there is anything extra here, such as a price of 1.

> Where am I going wrong?
Not sure - but we'll help you figure it out.

> Thanks for any help.
You're welcome.