[Kmymoney] Split transactions and multiple currencies

Peter Booth peter.booth at orange.fr
Mon Nov 11 10:45:37 UTC 2013

Hi
I've migrated to kmymoney from gnucash. I find it generally easier to
use with a good interface and much better reports.
One thing I can't seem to get right is entering my salary, which is a
split transaction involving more than one currency.
I am paid in GBP and the net salary usually goes into a EUR current
account. It is a split transaction with deductions for social security,
income tax (PAYE), etc. Most of the deductions are in GBP.
When I try to enter the splits in my Euro account, all the deductions
are entered as EUR, and I am required to enter the exchange rate to
convert them back to GBP. So I have to go back and manually convert all
the splits from GBP to EUR before I can enter them. This is a long
winded business and there doesn't seem to be any guarantee that the
resulting splits in GBP add up to the exact original gross salary.
This was not a problem in gnucash as I could enter all the splits into
the "Salary" category in GBP. As far as I can tell this isn't an option
in kmymoney - transactions in "Categories" aren't editable.
A workaround I have tried is to enter the transaction into a GBP account
with a zero value (i.e. all the splits add up to 0 with the net salary
transferred to my EUR account) but this isn't satisfactory.
Please tell me there is a better way to do this!
Best regards
Peter Booth
kmymoney 4.6.4

--