[Kmymoney] native currencies are not converted to base currency int he Budgeting vs. Actual Report

Michael Berger idest at online.de
Tue Nov 5 11:32:03 UTC 2013

Hello Alvaro,
thanks for your response.

I am owing and as well managing assets and accounts of various types  in
the currencies EURO (base), SFR, USD, IDR, all in the same KMM-files.

Owners of these different accounts (residing in Europe) would like to
see, inter alia, the following reports and summaries:
Income and Expenses, Cash-flow, Budgeting (budgeted vs. actual yearly).
In order to access ones property and do some planning, an easy to grasp
summary is desirable and furthermore to have it presented in the owner's
respective base currency, say in EURO.

Now, all this works fine as long as you would not use the option "Skip
value if price is zero". But if you do the resulting figures go beyond
every imagination.
Im not quite satisfied when proposing not to use this option because:
Firstly, it simply is offered there and thus inviting you to use it -
whoever put it there must have had something in mind. Secondly, yearly
reports "Budgeted vs. Actual" can become very, very large and may
contain a number of categories/accounts with values (prices?) varying
over time between zero and any higher value. Navigating through the
report becomes hard and each position of temporary irrelevance (because
it happens to be just empty at that time) would make the spread sheet
more lucid.

As I said, this is nothing of any significant importance and I am not a
bit encouraging or asking to put any effort into this. But then, this is
not correct in my opinion. Perhaps simply remove the option "Skip value
if price is zero" and that's it?
It also strikes me what is really meant here by the term "price". Does
this refer to the prices of currencies as shown in KMM's Price Editor (I
would anticipate it should). It goes without saying that in my reports
the "prices" are not empty but left untouched all the time whereas other
accounts/categories etc. may show a zero value in one month and not in
the next month.

Looking at the exchange rate between EURO and IDR it is something like 1
: 0,00006512. My precision is set to eight digits.

Thanks to you and all those involved in creating and developing this
very fine program!

Cheer!
Michael