[Kmymoney] Encrypted Connection to mysql server

Fernando Vilas fvilas at iname.com
Sat May 25 16:25:56 UTC 2013

On Saturday, May 25, 2013 09:03:23 Thomas Spuhler wrote:
> I have been using KmyMoney for a few years on a home network
> I am using mysql (now Mariadb) as the database and so far everything worked
> well except there is a problem if two users are using it simultaneously. I
> know I shouldn't do that.

The main problem there should be in the id numbers in most of the tables, but
at least you know that it may be an issue.

> I now have a problem/new feature request.
>
> KmyMoney doesn't provide using an encrypted communication to the mysql
> server ( according to the Manual). The server has the possibility.
>
> I this age of mobility, this feature would really be nice to have, even now
> on a home network where most folks use mobile devices over WI-Fi or even a
> mobile data network over a cell-phone. Please consider this request.

I also have a hard time trusting mobile networks when I travel and want to
access my financial data. So I connect over a VPN to my database. I find it
useful for more than just financials (for instance I can NFS mount my shared
files), and it was fairly easy to setup.

I am not opposed to implementing secure connections for those QSqlDriver types
that support it. However, my current schedule implies that someone else would
have to do the implementation.

--
Thanks,
Fernando Vilas