[Kmymoney] brokerage account

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Sat May 25 10:03:23 UTC 2013

On Sat, 25 May 2013 11:14:27 +0200
Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary at gmail.com> wrote:

> How do you tell if you need to establish a brokerage account?  There
> is definitely cash in this account and I can even withdraw funds from
> an ATM but there is no separate account number for the cash.  Do I
> put the same account number in KMM?
>
> thanks
>
> garyk

I think you'll need to be a bit more specific, at least for me to
understand the issue.

A brokerage account is really just a 'cash' account that is used for a
specific purpose - to handle deposits, withdrawals and other cash
elements that are associated with a particular investment account.
Some brokers even allow check facilities in their account.

So, from that, you don't really *need* a brokerage account: any
check/bank account will do to handle the monetary elements.  When you
are entering an investment transaction, you choose whatever account you
wish to supply or receive the funds.  If the activity is from OFX,
you've already set that up.

Now, when you say '...but there is no separate account number for the
cash.  Do I put the same account number in KMM?', what do you want the
account number for?  Externally, and so far as the user is concerned,
KMM doen't need an account number, only an account name.

Perhaps you can explain what you have already, and what you wish to do
next.

Allan