[Kmymoney] Importing multi currency data from Quicken 2008

Dada Krpasundarananda krpasundarananda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 18:55:37 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am trying to transit to KMM. To import my 10years of financial data
from Quicken 2008 to KMyMoney. I have tried in the past without getting
far. But now I did the following and got good initial results.

I first exported all the accounts to a qif file. Then I imported this
file into KMM (4.6.3) After a while the progress bar stopped moving. I
thought I just leave it and see, after an hour of working it created all
the accounts plus entries. So far so good.

However there are a few issues:

1) Transfers between accounts are added twice when the original accounts
are in different currencies. So if I have a My US account and a My Pesos
account and the original transfer is USD10 --> MXN130 it would add an
entry for 10 and 130 in each account in KMM. Deleting the 130 entry from
the My US account and the 10 from the My Pesos account would correct it
but take a really long time as I have so many accounts and most in
different currencies.

2) All accounts are imported in the same base currency though the
original accounts are all in different currencies. How can I make sure
the new account is created in the correct currency, or change it after
the account is already created? The amounts are correct, just the
currency is wrong. If I try to edit the account afterwards the base
currency drop down box is greyed out. Is there a way to edit the kmy
file to change the accounts to their proper currencies?

3) It creates a separate account for each tag used in quicken. So what
is one account in Quicken, say "My US$" gets split in several accounts
according to the tags. My US/Balivisit, My US/triptoNY, etc etc

Thanks so much