[Kmymoney] automated parted operation

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 24 13:53:24 UTC 2013

On 2013.07.24 09:36, hugo borrell wrote:
> 2013/7/19 aga <agander93 at gmail.com>

> > Enter your first transaction, including the split.  For my test, I
> used
> > meal for the main category and deduct for the deduction part in the
> > split.  Then select or enter "NearbyRestaurant" in Payee view and
> select
> > 'meal' as the default category.
> >
> Up to now, no problem.
> >
> > Then open a new transaction, which should show "NearbyRestaurant" as
> > the payee.  Even though it is already showing "NearbyRestaurant",
> > select it from the drop-down.  A new window should open, 'Select
> > autofill transaction', showing previous transactions.
>
> This is where I'm in trouble : this used to happen only if I created
> manualy a new transaction, but not if I was importing transaction
> through
> an OFX file : When I "edit" the transaction and pull down the payees
> list,
> no "same transaction" window opens. Is there a way to make this come
> true ?

When KMM imports a transaction into an account, and it does not match
an already existing manually entered transaction, it uses the format of
an already existing transaction.  I do not know if it uses simply the
latest transaction in the account, or chooses some other way.  However,
I have had cases where imported transactions were created with splits,
even though I did not want that.  It apparently happened because I had
recently created manually a split transaction in that account.  I give
this long explanation just to show that it should be possible to get at
least part of what you want - you will probably still have to adjust
the amount of one or both of the splits.

My suggestion to try this is to first manually enter at least two or
three transactions.  Then do the OFX import and see if the imported
transactions have the splits.

Also, to clarify something: the payee list that shows up (either on a
new transaction or editing an existing transaction) just has the list
of payees.  The list of previous transactions only shows up AFTER you
select a payee when manually entering a transaction.  It also will not
show up when editing a transaction, since the rest of the transactions
details are already present.  It will certainly not show up when
importing transactions, because the import should complete by itself,
without needing any manual intervention.

Let us know what happens when you try the import when the account
contains several transactions with the splits as you want them.