[Kmymoney] Automatically calculating the price

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 4 23:49:38 UTC 2013

On 2013.01.04 14:24, Niranjan Rao wrote:
> On 01/03/2013 01:38 PM, David Houlden wrote:
>> On Thursday 03 January 2013 20:07:21 Niranjan Rao wrote:
>>> For brokerage accounts, the information I get is dividend and
>>> number of shares purchased for mutual funds. When I try to enter
>>> the entry, KMyMoney forces me to calculate the price. While this
>>> task is easier, I have noticed that its introducing rounding errors.
>>>
>>> I remember from my Microsoft Money usage, it used to allow entering
>>> any two fields and used to calculate third field based on the
>>> fields I fill. Can KMyMoney do something similar? If it calculates
>>> the price, then I won't have rounding errors as I can say I have X
>>> number of shares and total is Y.
>>>
>> On the Accounts screen, edit the mutual fund and set the price entry
>> option to Total For All Shares. Then, when you enter a transaction
>> just enter the total number of shares and the total price paid.
>> KMyMoney will calculate the price for you and this will avoid any
>> rounding errors.
>>
> Unfortunately this did not work. I did set the option as indicated -
> on both the accounts settings and on the funds. When I try to enter
> the reinvest dividends transaction, total field is read only.  Am I
> doing something stupid?

I don't remember for certain, but it might be that the option Allan
mentioned only applies to buy and sell transactions.  Someone would
have to check the code to see if it was even supposed to work on
dividend reinvest transactions.  However - do note that you can always
increase the precision of the price, and by using one or two more
decimal places, you can usually deal with the rounding error.