[Kmymoney] Adding a liability category

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 18 21:14:17 UTC 2013

On 2013.12.18 16:02, John Tiedeman wrote:
> I need to add a liability category (account?) for Louisiana Consumer
> Use Tax. I must accrue 8% of cost of items, exclusive of shipping, To
> hold until the next year when state income taxes are due. The manual
> says use the icon view, but I have had no success.

First, you need to decide whether you want an account or a category.
If you are actually taking 8% of money coming in to your "receiving"
account and transferring it to a "holding" account from which you will
pay the state, you need to create a real cash account.  On the other
hand, if you just need to allocate that 8% to the Use Tax, and can run
a report at the end of the year to determine how much to pay the state,
a category will work fine.

In either case, I would say to use the menu (either Account or
Category) and then choose New....  If you can tell me where in the
manual it advises icon view, I'll take a look and consider revising
that section if it is misleading.  However, you should be able to
create the account or category no matter which view you use to look at
accounts or categories.

Let us know if this works, or if you have more questions.