[Kmymoney] Export/Import Categories

Kenneth Jacker khj at be.cs.appstate.edu
Mon Oct 8 15:42:04 UTC 2012

  >> Turned out the language-specific "template" directory was here:
  >>
  >> /usr/share/apps/kmymoney2/templates/en_US/

  thb> Are you using KMyMoney 1.0.x or KMyMoney 4.x.y?

v1.0.4

  thb> In the former case, the command would be 'kde-config' instead of
  thb> 'kde4-config'.

Correct.  I tried 'kde-config' instead, and the correct path was output.
Sorry for not including the version of KMM I'm using in any of my emails.

  >> Is there any way to "pre-load" my many "payees" as well?

  thb> Simply copy the whole <PAYEES> block from the older XML file into the newer
  thb> one using the editor of your choice. That should do it. Make sure no payee
  thb> exists in the newer file.

Great!  I'll try that ...

With all of those entries now also being included, it looks like the
only remaining things I need to enter "by hand" are the actual accounts
and their initial balances.  Nice.

  >> Thanks for the prompt, clearly stated and useful info!
  >>
  >> Few other "free" applications/packages are as good as KMM (the Shorewall
  >> firewall comes to mind as another example) ... incredible!

  thb> Thank you very much.

You are welcome!  You and the entire KMM "team" deserve it ... ;-)

  thb> I might have to quote you on this one :)

Please feel free to so do.

  -Kenneth