[Kmymoney] Currency Troubles

Doug Brown toquehead at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 23:35:49 UTC 2012

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but I must admit I was unable
to figure out how to search the list archives.

I have recently moved countries, so want to change my base currency.
Which I have done. But it seems categories have a currency associated
with them. I don't understand why that is, as it seems to me categories
should just be attribute of a transaction and unrelated to currencies,
but whatever.

I have an existing kmy db in CDN$, but am now entering data in AUD$. I
have changed my base currency to AUD, and added new AUD accounts.
Because my existing category hierarchy was constructed when my base
currency was CAD, all existing categories have a currency of CAD, and I
apparently can not change this. This means every transaction I enter in
my new currency requires a currency conversion.

This is not what I want. I want to enter AUD transactions into my AUD
accounts without fx complications.

What options do I have? I don't want to start with a fresh kmy file as I
have a history of transactions I want to keep, and I still have assets
in Canada that I would like to include in reporting. I could create a
whole new category hierarchy with AUD, but that is rather messy and
would make data entry error prone.

TIA,

d.