[Kmymoney] Dividend reinvestment (Scottrade, imported via OFX)

Robert Tomsick robert at tomsick.net
Wed Jun 27 17:52:06 UTC 2012

Hi all:

I have a question regarding dividends and dividend reinvestment that I was
hoping somebody might answer (or at least provide some hints.)

Here's the situation:

I have an account with the brokerage Scottrade.  I regularly import my
transactions via OFX (they provide an OFX endpoint).  This works fine.

For assets for which I receive dividends, Scottrade generates two
transactions.  The first is identified by KMyMoney as being of the type
"Dividend".  This transaction lists an amount and the security for which
the dividend was issued, but does not seem to include any other
information (such as "Total").  (The transaction does include a memo such
as "DIVIDEND ON 42.230 SHARES OF FOOBAR @ .061" but I believe this is
generated by Scottrade, not KMyMoney.)

The second transaction is the re-investment one.  KMyMoney identifies this
as being of the type "Buy Shares" and correctly populates the number of
shares and the price, but the "Total" is listed as $0.00.

The first thing I tried was to accept the "Dividend" transaction, however
doing so would require me to have it pay in to the Brokerage account --
which is not what actually happens (as far as Scottrade is concerned.)  I
could live with that, but then I'd have to mark the "Buy Shares"
transaction as coming from the brokerage account, and that seems... I
dunno, hack-ish?  I'd like the re-investments to be marked as such.

I then tried changing the type of the "Buy Shares" transaction to Reinvest
Dividends.  That works fine, only that leaves the "Dividend" transaction
to be dealt with, but anything I do to get it to be acceptable requires
me to specify an account and if I use the Brokerage account for that then
I end up with an incorrect total there (since the amount is never debited
by the "Reinvest Dividends" transaction.)

Finally, I tried matching the two transactions, but that only works if the
totals are equivalent -- and I can't seem to manage that without
manually-entering the information.

Since the above is confusing, here are some screenshots of the data as it
is provided by Scottrade.

The entries in the ledger:      http://www.tomsick.net/img/ledger-entry.png
The Dividend transaction:       http://www.tomsick.net/img/dividend.png
The reinvestment (Buy Shares):  http://www.tomsick.net/img/purchase.png

Any advice is welcome.  I absolutely love the rest of the program and it's
worked flawlessly for everything else I've thrown at it!

I'm running KMyMoney 4.6.2 (KDE Platform 4.8.3) as is currently provided
in Debian testing.

If you need additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Robert Tomsick