[Kmymoney] Kmymoney (Qt4) speedup tip

Nick Leverton nick at leverton.org
Sat Jun 9 15:10:56 UTC 2012

Having just upgraded from Kmymoney 1.05 (running on Trinity
KDE3-compatible desktop) directly to 4.6.3, I was disappointed by how much
less snappy KMM 4.6 seems on the same machine and with the same data file.
It made it no longer a quick and pleasant job to do my weekly account
updates because I was waiting so long for screen redraws, especially
when editing or adding transactions manually or when marking cleared.

However a tip I picked up from another list on speeding up Qt4
applications improves KMM quite a bit as well.

Simply append "-graphicssystem raster" to the kmymoney command line and
you can swap views instantly, and load new accounts/ledgers in about a
second instead of 5 or 6 seconds.  When I edit a transaction in-place,
now the form displays in one redraw instead of redrawing each widget
separately.

A few things are still quite slow, for instance clicking on the
"cleared/reconciled" column in the ledger view to clear an item causes a
full screen repopulate it seems.  But on the whole it's a very worthwhile
improvement.  I hope this idea might be useful to other people also !

Nick