[Kmymoney] How to handle loans and budgets

Maximilian Schaufler max.schaufler at bytedoc.net
Wed Feb 1 20:48:17 UTC 2012

On 1 February 2012 04:43, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

If you simply assign a category (rent or apartment or ...) to the
> transactions, you can then budget them.  You could even split the
> transactions into an interest category and a category for principle.  You
> can always assign a category to a transaction, even if you are transferring
> money to another account and not just a payee (which is internally just a
> different account.)   In fact, you say you have an "apartment project"
> category - so you could use this category in a budget.  I'm not sure why
> you think these transfers do not change any category, and I don't know if
> there is a problem in translating terms, or there is a misunderstanding of
> how KMyMoney works.  This does sound like an area to discuss more, and
> hopefully find there is really a good solution for you.

Ok, I'll try to simplify my description:
I have a
* regular bank account (A)
* liability account, representing my loan account (L)

For any payments I make or receive, each transaction in the ledger is
assigned a category (or multiple if split transaction is done).
My liability/loan account's balance is currently showing the whole open
amount of the loan I have from my bank.
Every payment I make on that loan (called a principle, as I take it), I
enter as a transfer transaction from (A) to (L). In this transfer
transaction there is no category, but instead the account to/from which the
transfer is made.

Am I missing the possibility to add a category here as well?

Max