[Kmymoney] Reconcile Problems

Doug Brown toquehead at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 23:52:51 UTC 2012

On 12/08/2012 1:02 AM, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
>> My understanding is that all your data is stored within your file.  If
>> the register is corrupted, it must be because your file is.
>>
>> I take it you are familiar with how values are represented in the xml
>> file, so I think that amount must be there (unless it's the difference
>> between two other amounts.)  Just to be certain, and I hope I'm not
>> insulting your knowledge, could you say what the amount is and what you
>> searched for?
> Another trick in account is to search for exactly the half of the amount which
> generally shows transactions having the wrong sign.
>
> I can also confirm what Allen stated: The register can't be corrupt because it
> is rebuild each time you start KMyMoney from the data contained in your file.

When I said my register was "corrupt" I didn't mean the file was corrupt
- I can decompress my kmy file and look at the xml file fine. I meant
that there was an inconsistent transaction in there that was hooping the
calc of the opening balance. I could not find the offending transaction
amount, half the transaction amount, or the opening balance amount
anywhere in the xml file. Very mysterious.

As I mentioned in my email response to Jack, the reconciliation went
fine even with an incorrect opening balance. That really strikes me as
either

a) an offsetting bug

or b) the reconciliation used a correct opening balance calc while the
reconciliation dialog was showing an incorrect one, but one that was not
used in the reconciliation.

I figger the opening balance _must_ be used in the reconciliation,
otherwise how can kmy possibly know if the reconciliation is balanced?

But I'm good to go now, so thanks to everyone for their help.

d.