[Kmymoney] problems when updating KMM 4.5 to 4.6 in openSUSE 11.4 /KDE 4.6

Michael Berger idest at online.de
Sat Oct 8 07:58:44 UTC 2011

Hi,
you may  recall my recent report on KMyMoney when I was not able anymore to
enter decimal places in split transactions.
Thomas proposed to check the language settings and indeed,  I found these
to be empty.

Thomas and Alvaro suggested that this was probably not a KMM related problem
and I inclined to believe that it must have to do with my distro.

I followed up on this and now would like to share my findings with you.

YAST does NOT automatically offer to update KMM to 4.6 but, if for instance,
the repository KDE:Distro:Factory is present you are able and free to do so
and if you take that decision a list of additional packages will be installed
alongside - see screen shot.

After Ok the installation runs smoothly without any warnings or errors.

KMM is upgraded to 4.6 and behaves normal except for the puzzling fact that
again all the settings are empty.

YAST is a fantastic instrument and up to that moment I was absolutely sure it
was taking care of all dependencies.

But when starting to work with other applications many problems turned up.
Just to name the most obvious ones: Kontact was not working at all, logging
out and shutting off had often to be forced by pulling the plug,  not only KMM
frequently froze but also the entire system, various settings were gone as
well etc.

After I removed all the newly upgraded packages my system returned back to
normal.

You can repeat this as often as you want.
Now, as long as you only install the updates announced by KpackageKit you are
save (upgrading KMM to 4.6 was not yet recommended!). However if you are the
type of experiment-enthusiastic freak lime me it is good to know when you
start acting on your own responsibility.

I got curious and tried more. Here is another example.
I am writing my documents with Lyx and Kile is its recommended Latex Source
Editor. When installing Kile 2.1 the list of dependent packages to install is
even longer and again, Kontact and its other components are on it (that's what
you have fear Torsten!).
No warnings and/or error messages but you will most probably run into similar
problems when proceeding.

And while all this does not come as a surprise to the developers I hope to
ordinary users this is as helpful as it was to me.

Thanks to all who continue to come along with helpful advice.

Cheers!

Michael Berger
Im Borngrund 7a
35606 Solms-Oberndorf