[Kmymoney] Re: Category column in the ledger view (again)

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun May 22 21:59:39 CEST 2011

Hi,

on Sunday 22 May 2011 21:06:31 Vincent Frison wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 May 2011 at 23:11:36, Vincent Frison wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry to post another thread on that subject but I had some subscription
> > issues with the mailing list.
> >
> > Maybe I wasn't very clear with my previous mail so i'm trying to clarify.
> > My question was : why there's no "category column" in the ledger view ?
> >
> > As Cristian said, that column exists where you're using the ledger lens
> > but in the regular ledger view it's not the case.

I am not sure, but I don't know where this column should exist. The only thing
that exists is the capability to show all details of either all transactions
(that is an option in the view menu) or the one that currently has the focus
(we call this feature ledger lens).

> > In the regular view the "category" of the transaction (ie. the other end)
> > is displayed in the details column, but only if the transaction has its
> > Payee AND Notes fields empty.
> >
> > A extra column in the regular ledger view would be much appreciated since
> > a transaction is a lot more explicit when it's displayed with its
> > category.

There is another feature request which asks to display a column that contains
the VAT value of a transaction. Yet another column which we need. Looks we're
running out of screen estate.

> > I could create a wishlist item if you find it pertinent..
>
> Hmm no replies.. does it mean I have to consider that (not really) new
> feature as non pertinent ? :(

In the world of open source you decide if you want t open a feature request.
If the devs are busy and don't find the time to judge it for you, you still
have the liberty to open it.

The KMyMoney community is pretty professional when it comes to handle those
bug entries. We don't start a flame war if something is wrong. We will let the
poster know and discuss issues. No need to stick your head into the sand.

BTW: a mockup as how you envision this feature is a good idea. Please consider
all other features the program has.

An optimist laughs to forget.
A pessimist forgets to laugh.