[Kmymoney] Re: File access problems under VMWare

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Jun 4 13:57:54 CEST 2011

Hi,

on Saturday 04 June 2011 04:08:25 Doug Brown wrote:

> I am running KMyMoney v4.5 on Ubuntu 11 inside VMWare Player on a
> Windows 7 host. I want to access my kmy file on a Windows folder
> shared via VMWare "Shared Folders".
>
> I can access the file fine with cp (2-way) or the file explorer gui in
> Ubuntu. KMyMoney can not open the file. If copy to my home dir,
> KMyMoney can open it fine.
>
> Any ideas what the problem is?

Not really, but a few ideas how to find out or at least how to get more
information.

> I want this because it needs to be hosted on my TrueCrypt partition on
> Windows where my backup runs.

Fair enough.

> Full disclosure: I am a linux and KMyMoney newbie.

OK, here we go then:

a) open a terminal window
b) start KMyMoney in the following way

   kmymoney -n &

   that ampersand at the end is important. KMyMoney starts without opening a
file. That is what -n says. Wait until KMyMoney is up and switch back to the
terminal window.

c) find the PID (Process ID) of the running KMyMoney process which should have
been printed to the terminal after starting KMyMoney. If not, you can do:

   pgrep kmymoney

which gives you the number if pgrep is available, otherwise use

   ps ax | grep kmymoney

d) start the following command:

   strace -e trace=file -o open.txt -p PID

   where you replace PID with the actual number found in step c)

e) Switch to KMyMoney and open the file via the shared folder. Finish the
process i.e. close all error messages.

f) Switch to the terminal window and press 'Ctrl-C' to stop the running strace
program.

g) compress the file created by strace with the following command

   gzip open.txt

h) send us the resulting file now called open.txt.gz for further analysis to
the mailing list. You can certainly take a look at that file using

   zless open.txt.gz

i) wait for answers :)

In case strace is not installed on your system, use your package manager to
install it. I am not a ubuntu user but my guess is that you can do it with

   sudo aptitude install strace

You can even do that while KMyMoney is already started in step c).

Hope that is somewhat clear.   If not, feel free to ask.

Here's how this looks like in a terminal window:

thb at thb-nb:~> kmymoney -n &
[1] 24271
thb at thb-nb:~> KDE proxy setting of type 4 not supported
7:2011/06/04 13-50-28:aqbanking(24271):started
KMyMoney kbanking plugin loaded
KMyMoney printcheck plugin loaded
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
KMyMoney iCalendar plugin loaded
KMyMoney reconciliation report plugin loaded
KMyMoney csvimport plugin loaded
KMyMoney ofximport plugin loaded

<!-- I pressed Return here -->

thb at thb-nb:~> pgrep kmymoney
24271
thb at thb-nb:~> strace -e trace=file -o open.txt -p 24271
Process 24271 attached - interrupt to quit
reading file
start parsing file
startDocument
reading accounts
reading transactions
reading securities
reading currencies
reading prices
reading reports
endDocument
^CProcess 24271 detached
thb at thb-nb:~> gzip open.txt
thb at thb-nb:~> ls -l open
open.txt.gz                   openwrt-wrt54gs-squashfs.bin
thb at thb-nb:~> ls -l open.txt.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 thb users 25558 Jun  4 13:51 open.txt.gz

The output may differ for your as you are not able to open the file, but that
does not matter.

I can break things just fine by myself,
I don't need (KDE) 4.2 to help me. -- Bill Suit