[Kmymoney] KMyMoney Digest, Vol 13, Issue 23

Gary Kirkpatrick pegngary at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 05:57:06 UTC 2011

> Gary,
>
> When responding to a digest, please try to change the subject.
>
> On 2011.08.20 08:29, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 07:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
> > > From: Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>
> >> Please post the first five to ten lines of the file here - you can
> >> change any account numbers or actual amounts.  Then we can confirm
> >> whether or not it is really a QIF file.
> > >
> >> However, the CRLF means it was exported on a PC.  I'm pretty sure
> >> KMM will read it correctly with either PC or Linux line endings (can
> >> someone confirm this?) but just as a test you could try "dos2linux <
> >> date.qif > newdate.qif" to change the line endings and see if that
> >> copy will import.
> >
> > Here are the first few lines.  The error messge reads Account has
> > Invalid type then KMM freezes.
> >
> > !Type:Tag
> > Nancestry
> > ^
> > NBarcelona trip
> > ^
> > NHostess Gifts
> > ^
> > NHotels, B&Bs, etc.
> > ^
> > NHousehold
> > ^
> > NInsurance
> > ^
> > NLabor
> > ^
> > NMaterials
> > ^
> > Npostage
> > ^
> > NPrisca Project
> >

> OK - there are several issues here.
>
> First, I thought I saw in a separate message that you got this to
> work.  Am I confusing two different threads?
>
> Second, I think this is the first time you said that KMM gave an error
> message "Account has invalid type" before freezing.  If we knew this at
> the beginning, we could have saved a lot of steps.
>
> As Allan said, KMM currently does not deal with the Tag section in
> QIF.  To remove that section, in a text editor, remove all lines from
> "!Type:Tag" to the line before the next "!Type" line.  (As a wishlist,
> should it at least ignore it?)
>
> dos2linux and dos2unix are essentially the same, and which one you have
> depends on your distribution.  Also, as has been said in other
> messages, it doesn't matter, as KMM doesn't care about which type of
> line ending you have.
>
> Sorry it's taking so long to get this to work, but get it sorted out.
>
> Jack

First:  Sorry Jack I am a bit confused at the moment about what I said I got
to work so can not straighten that out.

Second:  The second error message hid behind the first and I noticed it
after I happened to move the other error message.

To get the import to work I also had to remove the next !Type as well.  Then
I get a date error message.  Will post that separately.

gary