[Kmymoney] Are there any instructions relating to Closing and Hiding Closed Accounts Please

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 11:24:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:59:39 +1000
Peter <cave at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> Now successfully moved to KMM 4.6.0 a question arises.
>
> I think? I have read almost all of the manual but can not find
> anything on the subject and conditions of Closing accounts and hiding
> those accounts.
>
> A couple of my old closed accounts have resurfaced in part only after
> importing other accounts and I tried to enter a dummy transaction to
> reduce the account to zero but this was not permitted so I am curious
> about the "rules" that apply.
>
> I think that if I delete all transactions it will affect the balance
> of existing accounts so probably not a good idea?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
> Linux Mint 11 KMM 4.06.0

(No swanking allowed!)

The problem with editing old transactions is an old chestnut, and I
referred to it in the thread on your importing difficulties.  Almost
certainly because, I think, you removed the opening balance entries,
the account opening dates may be more recent than the earliest
transactions.

Similarly, if you attempt to enter a new transaction earlier than the
account opening date, you will be unable to.  Just correct the opening
dates.

There is a separate response on hiding closed accounts, and you should
be able to do this once you've entered the new/old items.

Allan