[Kmymoney] Compiling Kmymoney and Libofx problems

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Tue Aug 24 08:17:40 CEST 2010

Hi,

on Tuesday 24 August 2010 03:32:39 Ian Anderson wrote:

> I guess every list has a Linux beginner who digs deeper and deeper holes
> thinking he can solve things himself. My apologies therefore for this
> post.
>
> I used KMymoney2 1.05 last year and it worked well with either OFX or
> Aqbanking downloads. I was irritated however by the Libofx daylight
> saving bug which moves every downloaded transaction forwards by one day.
> This happens in both Aqbanking and OFX downloads.  Thomas Baumgart wrote
> the patch for this in Feb 2010, and kindly offered to help me recompile
> Libofx. (I think that's what he meant? I should have got back to him!)

Now I am getting back to you :)

> Recently I decided to move to KMymoney 4.5.and have a go myself. The
> current version of libofx-0.9.1 still contains the bug in the file
> ofx_utilities.cpp. I extracted the libofx-0.9.1 tar then downloaded and
> pasted his fixed Ver 1.13 of ofx_utilities.cpp in place of Ver 1.11
> contained in the extracted tar. I also had to paste in newer versions of
> 5 or 6 other libofx files which stopped the make. By downloading and
> pasting them over the old versions and then recompiling each time the
> make continued further and further until in the end it finished with no
> more error messages. So I hope my libofx is OK ?? (That's the first
> question)

... which we can answer. If something compiles it does not mean that it works
at all or crashes while running.

> Working in Ubuntu 10.04 desktop I compiled KMymoney 4.5, and it's
> running almost 100%, except that there are missing icons around the
> programme. (a ? icon is shown instead)

That's usually a sign of false installation.

> Especially in the home view (only Home and Schedules icons are normal).
> In the home screen only the file, settings, and help menus open.
> The desktop Office menu shows KMymoney but with no coin icon, and it
> doesn't start up from there.

Another sign of some sort of bogus installation.

> Worst of all there is no OFX plugin to detect in the programme settings
> so I can't see if the download bug is really fixed!.

Yet another problem which could be caused by a wrong installation.

> I can manually enter data, and move around the other features in the
> programme and have opened my old file from 1.0.5. I'm so close!!
> However I cant face entering every transaction manually for the rest of
> my life after the near successful downloads of 1.0.5. (Have to have OFX)
>
> During the KMymoney make I noticed several queries/?failures at the 75%
> area concerning building the CXX object relating to KMymoneyview.cpp  Is
> this relevant to the problem? (I saved the lines)

Did it stop or where those just warnings. Warnings are not a real problem at
this point. I think I know what you are talking about:

/home/thb/devel/kmymoney4/kmymoney/views/kmymoneyview.cpp: In member function
‘void KMyMoneyView::saveToLocalFile(const QString&, IMyMoneyStorageFormat*,
bool, const QString&)’:
/home/thb/devel/kmymoney4/kmymoney/views/kmymoneyview.cpp:1092: warning: ‘void
QIODevice::resetStatus()’ is deprecated (declared at
/usr/include/QtCore/qiodevice.h:190)

[ ... some more of those ... ]

Those are not a problem for now.

> Finally after numerous compilations and deletions of the build directory
> I used DCMAKE _INITIAL_PREFIX=/usr/ as in the KDE techbase and I'm now
> afraid I could have too many stray files of KMymoney 4.5.  I don't know
> how to uninstall the bits in usr/local, or even if I should?

Ah, the bogus installation. To fix it, proceed as follows:

- run 'sudo make uninstall' which removes the installation
- remove your build directory
- run cmake with "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local"
- build the program
- run 'sudo make install'
- run 'sudo make uninstall'

At this point all stray files should be gone. Now we build it the right way
with:

- remove your build directory
- run cmake with "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr"
- build the program
- run 'sudo make install'

> After two solid days of trying and a look at the Sourceforge user
> archives, I would be grateful for any help you can offer me.
> Kind regards Ian Anderson

Hope that helps to get you started. If you encounter problems, please feel
free to ask more questions.

'Either toss the Windows out of your computer,
 or toss your computer out the window!' -- Richard Stallman