KMyMoney AppImage versions

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Oct 21 20:43:21 BST 2023

KDE Sysadmin is working on moving the tasks performed by binary-factory.kde.org
(which currently builds our AppImage, MacOS and Windows versions) to the Gitlab
infrastructure and its CI system.

As a first candidate, the generation of AppImages has now been activated on
Gitlab and shutdown on Jenkins.

We still need to update our AppImage page to reflect the change. Downloading
and extracting is a bit different than it used to be, therefore the AppImage
is now build upon each commit and not only once a day or on a manual trigger
by a developer. On the downside, only the latest version may be available.

To get the appimage, visit https://invent.kde.org/office/kmymoney/-/pipelines
and press the download icon on the right of the entry. This will open a list
of downloadable items. craft_appimage_x86_64:archive is what you want to click.
This will start the download of artifacts.zip which contains e.g.

   kmymoney-5.1-linux-gcc-x86_64.AppImage

in the .kde-ci-packages sub-directory. Extract that file. As a bonus, you won't
have to fiddle with the execution permission anymore but can run it right away.

Yet a mystery to resolve: why is the master branch version called 5.1 in the filename?

Many thanks to Julius Künzel who did most of the work of the transition for KMyMoney.

Unix is the most user friendly system I know, the point is
that it is really selective about who is indeed its friend.