Direct Connect / OFX Matching

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jan 22 21:24:30 GMT 2023

On 2023.01.22 14:35, Brendan Coupe via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
> When I import transactions via direct connect or with OFX files, KMM
> appears to match the new transaction to the previous transaction with
> the same Payee based on the transaction total that is closest to the
> new transaction total.
>
> This normally works pretty well but in the case of paychecks, it
> makes a complete mess of the splits. My wife has received about 300
> paychecks from her company. When the total changes, sometimes even
> slightly, the new transaction can match a paycheck from 5 or 6 years
> ago. This means that the splits are all wrong. This happens many
> times each year due to changes in some taxes, travel expenses
> reimbursements and for other reasons. I usually have to delete the
> imported transaction, copy the previous paycheck, change the date and
> amount, fix the one or two splits that caused the total to change and
> then re-import the new transaction and match it to the one I entered
> manually. Pretty frustrating. There are so many transactions from the
> same payee it's starting to happen when the difference is less than
> $1.00.
>
> In the KMM config settings under Ledger, Import you can set the limit
> to match transactions within a certain number of days. This has no
> affect on this process and probably shouldn't. I think that is meant
> for a different purpose.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, I propose that a similar option be
> added to each payee. The default should probably stay as it is, but
> in the "Matching" tab, it would help to able to limit the time frame
> used for selecting which transaction to match. In my case, I would
> limit the paychecks to no more than 15 days since I am much more
> interested in the splits matching than the totals matching. This
> would limit the matching to the 2 previous paychecks. A Payee
> customizable limit on the percent difference in the transaction total
> might also be useful. I would not set this since I do not care how
> much the total changes.
>
> Please let me know if I'm missing a setting that would solve this now
> or if anyone has a better idea. I will submit this as a wishlist item
> based on the feedback.

I have the same problem with some stores.  Most of the time, purchases
are for a single category, such as groceries or hardware, but sometimes
I buy different things, and split among multiple categories.  These
latter (and often much older) transactions are sometimes the ones
matched on OFX import.

I suspect a wishlist bug would be the best way for this to not be
forgotten (I haven't checked, but don't think there is already one.)  I
also wonder if it might be reasonable and useful to have more than one
set of matching rules, which could be chosen per account.