some papercuts from master branch

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Tue Jan 3 07:17:22 GMT 2023

On Montag, 2. Januar 2023 23:48:32 CET Jack via KMyMoney-devel wrote:

> On 2022.12.28 09:25, Thomas Baumgart via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
> > On Dienstag, 27. Dezember 2022 03:24:28 CET Jeremy Whiting via
> > KMyMoney-devel wrote:
> >
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I've switched back from 5.1.x to master branch for the past week or
> > so and
> > > hit a few papercuts. Not sure if there are existing plans for these
> > yet or
> > > not. If not I'll file bugs for each and try to tackle some as time
> > permits.
> > >
> > > 1. Sorting: Cleared and reconciled transactions for a given day
> > were not at
> > > the top of that day's transactions.
> > > https://invent.kde.org/office/kmymoney/-/merge_requests/182 fixes
> > that, but
> > > leaves the running balance incorrect. I think that is still sorted
> > by id or
> > > something?
> >
> > Regarding the balance I am not sure what we do about it. More so,
> > when sorting
> > is based on a non-date column (e.g. detail or payee). Would sorting
> > by balance
> > make sense at all? Also, if there is a filter setup the balance is
> > certainly
> > not accurate anymore. What shall we do with it? Display "---" or
> > simply nothing?
> >
> > Ideas and suggestions are welcome. We need to have a clear
> > understanding on
> > how we want this to behave before I make any more changes.
>
> I just ran into this issue with 5.1.80--ba8b90e64.  Sorting is default
> (Post date, Reconcile state, Amount) but running balance is clearly
> calculated in a different order. as the Balance and Cleared amount (the
> same - there are no unmarked transactions) is on the transaction third
> from the bottom.  As long as date is the first sort key, then I think
> the running balance should be in the order displayed.  That was even if
> the balances don't match a statement exactly for each transaction, they
> should still match at the end of each day.

During my recent vacation I found some time to tackle this but I am not
100% done yet. The problem is that the balance information is calculated once
when a transaction is changed (for the affected accounts only) and this
information is then used by the views without respecting the sorting
which happens at a later stage.

I also found some time to show the architecture of the ledger stack and
will provide a wiki page (hopefully soon) with some detailed explanation.

Arguing with a woman is like reading the Software License Agreement.
In the end you ignore everything and click 'I agree'.