How to deal with clang-format

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Aug 13 09:20:02 BST 2023

On Sonntag, 13. August 2023 01:54:21 CEST Jack Ostroff via KMyMoney-devel wrote:

> I'm finding git requiring me to run clang-format on most code changes.
> Most of the time, it is fine - just fixing up bad indentation (tabs ->
> spaces) but sometimes it completely re-indents something in ways that
> make it actually harder to read, or using longer lines.
> https://community.kde.org/Policies/Frameworks_Coding_Style says you can
> use a comment at the end of a line to preserve manual line breaks, but
> I have a case where it still re-flows, putting ". //" on a line by
> itself.  Do we have a preference on how to handle this, or do we just
> let clang-format do its thing?

I'd say let clang-format do its thing. It's what I prefer if I can't get
things controlled the way I want them.

> Related - is there a way to get emacs to use the required formatting
> style without having to explicitly run clang-format (either in emacs or
> command line) ?

Here's something I found (but I am more on the vim side of things)

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/55635/how-can-i-set-up-clang-format-in-emacs
https://github.com/SavchenkoValeriy/emacs-clang-format-plus

The .clang-format file should be part of the repo already.

Hope that helps

Thomas

UTF-8 Test: The 🐈 ran after a 🐁, but the 🐁 ran away.