How to deal with clang-format

Jack Ostroff ostroffjh at aya.yale.edu
Sun Aug 13 00:54:21 BST 2023

I'm finding git requiring me to run clang-format on most code changes.
Most of the time, it is fine - just fixing up bad indentation (tabs ->
spaces) but sometimes it completely re-indents something in ways that
make it actually harder to read, or using longer lines.
https://community.kde.org/Policies/Frameworks_Coding_Style says you can
use a comment at the end of a line to preserve manual line breaks, but
I have a case where it still re-flows, putting ". //" on a line by
itself.  Do we have a preference on how to handle this, or do we just
let clang-format do its thing?

Related - is there a way to get emacs to use the required formatting
style without having to explicitly run clang-format (either in emacs or
command line) ?