KMyMoney | Use QtKeychain instead KWallet directly (#46)

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 10 17:30:48 BST 2022

On 10/10/22 12:23, Dawid Wrobel wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 6:16 PM Jack via KMyMoney-devel
> <kmymoney-devel at kde.org> wrote:
>
>     I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier,  but if I don't
>     want to
>     type all my passwords again, are there instructions for how I
>     would go
>     about migrating them?  (on Linux,  KDE Plasma)
>

> I imagine you'd have to rename them accordingly. Try saving a new
> credential using master build (I just merged the code). Then see the
> differences. The new credential should be saved under a
> "org.kde.kmymoney" name/folder. Renaming should be relatively easy, if
> my experience here on macOS with its own native vault is to be of any
> value.
>
> Unfortunately, this cannot be automated from the app level, but we
> could add a manual page/FAQ on how to do this, possibly with a bash
> script (via DBus). Which actually begs the question: should we look
> into how to prepare a "What's new in xxx release"? for when we push an
> alpha release?

We definitely need to do something to give users a heads-up.  I would be
very surprised, and not very happy, if without any warning, an upgrade
seemed to lose all my passwords.  I don't know how typical I am, but I
have over a dozen mapped accounts, and I don't really know any of the
passwords - I would have to look up each one in one of the (few) secure
places they are stored.  Quite possible, but certainly annoying.  I
would certainly want to know it's going to happen, and know it's for a
good reason.

Perhaps some pop-up on needing a password telling why it might not be
there if it used to be, and at least a pointer to instructions on how to
migrate, if possible.