Automated task plugin

Jonatan Cloutier cloutier.jo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 03:57:31 BST 2022

Hello, I'm looking at a way of automatically pulling data in my KMyMoney
files. I already have the source data, but I'm now trying to find a way
to get it automatically into the KMyMoney file. The main requirement is
that I would highly prefer not to take manual action from KMyMoney.

My first solution was to move to the database back end and make sure to
understand how to create transaction properly. But then I realize that
the database backend is really not working properly for my need (the
file like access kind of defeat the purpose and it is way too slow to
open and close to be usable) digging a bit in the mailling list, it
doesn't appear to be a recomanded way of using the software anymore.

Next I'm thinking of either creating an import like plugin that would be
able to automatically feed itself from a socket receiving data and
creating the required transaction, or if the socket isn't really an
option, automatically reading a specific file. But in both cases I fear
that the plugin framework wouldn't allow me to have that background task
running and updating my transactions without user action.

If a user action is really needed, I might go with the specific file
solution and it would not have any wizard or file selection modal, a bit
like the update your accounts without the passwords.

Another thing I would have liked, would be to do that import even if the
software isn't running (defeating all above solution except the
database) and for that I was thinking of using KMyMoney as a lib to load
the kmy file, use the MyMoneyFile API to make any change and save it
back. But I'll get an issue if the file is open in the real software and
all change will be overridden and since KMyMoney isn't developed as a
library I expect that those "API" could be broken at any time and
obviously that's going to happen when I don't have the time to fix my tools!

After all that being said, two main questions: 1. Is it possible to run
a background listener/task in a plugin as described above? 2. Any other
suggestion on how to script custom data modification automatically?

Jonatan Cloutier