USAA Direct Connect is Broken Again

Brendan Coupe brendan at coupeware.com
Sat Jan 8 17:42:48 GMT 2022

I was away so I could not look at this until now.

All of my systems were on versions I compiled before Dec 26 and after the
previous changes earlier in December. USAA import was working. As a
reminder, USAA imports failed on all 3 Fedora 35 systems when KMM was
compiled after Dec 26. On at least one of the systems KMM had been compiled
twice after Dec 26.

This morning all 3 systems were switched back to the post Dec 26 versions
that previously failed to import from USAA. They all were able to import
from USAA. When I compiled new versions from the 5.1 branch today, USAA
direct connect works fine.

I do not think this was a USAA problem because I think it was still failing
on systems with the post Dec 26 version after it was working on systems
that had been rolled back. {lus it seems unlikely that they fixed it in the
30 minutes it took to roll back the version.

It may be a library update on Fedora 35 but that seems like it would be
hard to explain over 3 systems.

I use a build script and an install script that I wrote for KMM. Each time
I build I download the full tree from the target branch and name it with a
date and time stamp. I usually keep the build tree directory arund for a
month or two so I can switch back if necessary.

My install script basically runs make uninstall for the appropriate build
directory and then switches to the target build directory and runs make
install (both with the appropriate arguments).

One thing I did observe when switching from the post Dec 26 version back to
the older version, it took quite a while. It almost looked like the build
script was running again. When I switched back to the post Dec 26 version
this morning, it was much faster and looked like a normal install process
after a new build. This was the same on all 3 systems. I suspect something
on the Fedora systems changed to trigger this but I don't understand the
process enough to explain it.

Not sure why this happened or why it went away but it works now so I'm
happy.

*----*
*Brendan Coupe*