debugging plugins

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 8 01:04:38 BST 2022

On 2022.04.07 19:14, Chris via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am compiling kmymoney to run the debugger over a couple of plugins.
> When I do so setting a breakpoint fails in the source code of the
> plugin I want to debug (csv import).
>
> I read that its best to statically link the plugins for debugging
> purposes so I recompiled using -DBUILD_SHARED=OFF
> -DBUILD_STATIC_PLUGINS=ON to statically link the shared libs
>
> However now when kmymoney starts it says it "couldn't find any plugin
> for opening storage". When I look under Settings=>Configure KmyMoney
> there are no plugins shown
As these plugins (including csv import) all get compiled along with the
rest of KMM, I'm not convinced static linking is necessary, or even
helpful.  The one thing I can say from debugging plugins in other
programs is that the debugger won't know anything about the plugin
until it gets loaded.  Remember, the whole point of a plugin is that it
is NOT compiled into the program, it is a separate .so file.  Once it
is loaded (by calling a function of a known name within that .so file)
then KMM knows how to call it (and so does the debugger.)  I'm not sure
what happens when you compile KMM with static linking, but I'm fairly
sure that the plugins will NOT be included in the binary.

Apologies if you area lready aware of all this, and I"m sure someone
will correct me if I'm way off base here.