[Solved] A new "can't close account" problem

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 5 15:56:29 BST 2021

On 2021.05.05 02:05, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
[snip....]
> I was looking into that myself and thinking about the same. Today, we
> block all actions when they cannot be executed successfully. In some
> cases it is obvious to the user why something is not possible in the
> current context (e.g. "Edit account" when no account is selected")
> whereas in others (e.g. "Close account") it is not. I am not sure
> what would be a consistent way of handling this.
>
> I tried to present a tooltip in case an action is disabled. But in
> case it is disabled, the tooltip does not appear :( Yesterday, I have
> read in the Qt documentation somewhere, that it is possible to
> display a "What's this" message for disabled menu items/actions. I
> have not tried that, but it seems a bit awkward to select the "what's
> this" feature and then click on the disabled menu item.
>
> Another idea I had was a time triggered thingy (like the trigger for
> a tooltip) that will display the tooltip/what's this/help/message
> widget when the mouse movement pauses over a disabled menu item. Have
> not tried that either and don't know if it is possible at all over a
> menu. A disabled action button seems to show the tooltip.
What about adding an action/menu item Account/Information (or
Properties?) which would show various things about the account,
especially including things you don't immediately see in Account/Edit,
such as whether is it mapped, whether it has subaccounts, is it
referred to in any scheduled transactions.  Mainly to include all the
reasons it can't be closed or delted - maybe even "Cannot be closed
because ...." and "Cannot be deleted because ...."