KMyMoney 4.8.5 build fails with alkimia problem

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon Jun 22 17:03:02 BST 2020

On Montag, 22. Juni 2020 17:36:22 CEST Jack wrote:

> On 6/22/20 11:22 AM, David Houlden wrote:

> >> Try building from git head of the 5.1 branch instead of the master
> >> branch.  When we released 5.1, a lot of  new code was pushed into master
> >> branch, and I don't think it is recommended yet for anything except
> >> testing that new code.
> >>
> >> While I would expect libalkimia 5.0.0 to work for KMM 4.8.5, I have not
> >> tried it myself, so I don't know for sure.
> > I cannot use the 5.1 branch as I am still on KDE4. At least that is my understanding.
> > I now have libalkimia 8.0.1 installed and have built kmymoney from HEAD of the 4.8 branch. I will not be using it though. There are too many bugs.
> > Briefly-
> > On Home screen Assets and Liabilities Summary the decimal places of values are not aligned vertically. This happens on some reports too.
> >
> > On Tags screen, if I select a tag no transactions are shown. A balance for the tag is however shown.
> >
> > Same on Payees screen. Selecting a payee shows no transactions.
> >
> > How do I update stock prices? All the ways I used to have which parsed web sites have disappeared.
> >
> > Regards, David.
>
> My error with suggesting 5.1, as for some  reason I thought you had
> successfully compiled from the 5.0 branch.  I clearly misread
> something.  At this point, my personal suggestion is that it's time to
> seriously consider upgrading your slackware version.  You are correct
> that KMM >=5.0 requires KDE Frameworks (KF5) and not kdelibs4.
>
> I'm a bit surprised you got 4.8 successfully compiled with that new
> libalkimia, and I wonder if that is the cause of any of the bugs you
> see, but don't really know, one way or the other.  At this point, Ralf
> Habacker is the only person I know of still working on the 4.8 branch,
> and he is likely the only one to make suggestions on price updates.
> There have been numerous changes in that area since 5.0, but he as also
> made some changes to 4.8.x. I'm curious what you mean by all the ways
> have disappeared.  I don't think anything in that area was explicitly
> removed, so I'd recheck your cmake settings to confirm you've enabled
> everything appropriate.

I think Ralf added the new libalkimia price update support to the 4.8 branch
a while ago. I have not followed it thoroughly, though.  Ralf is currently
not regularly available, so it might take a bit until he may join the thread.

Found these consecutive entries in the git logs:

commit 059577978c129e8e07882fb38b6c29b3f6089764 (tag: 4.8.5)
Author: Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de>
Date:   Wed Nov 27 12:01:51 2019 +0100

    Fix finding kmymoneyui.rc file

    Class AlkOnlineQuotesWidget from alkimia's 8.0 branch creates an instance
    of the class KComponentData to find the correct translation, which causes
    kmymoney to search for alkimia/alkimiaui.rc.

commit 369f6358f4c8be4e1c6c7ec7fdf3546c625cc21a
commit 6da0badcc33e756aedb524d62f49f3818efcafb6
Author: Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de>
Date:   Tue Oct 2 01:15:17 2018 +0200

    Use alkimia provided online quotes support

Q: Where did I put my coffee cup?
A: dir -R /home/thb | grep 'coffee cup'