questions on report output

Dawid Wrobel me at dawidwrobel.com
Wed Jun 17 04:32:34 BST 2020

Jack, Jesus,

If we were talking about data formatting only, without additional
benefit of actually embedding the formulas, I would advise against
.ods due to its sheer complexity – which Jack already mentioned. HTML
is flexible enough to support all our regular 'static' reports needs,
and the generated report can be exported to .PDF of .ODS easily.
Moreover, Skrooge already supports adding additional HTML reports via
store.kde.org and I would look into supporting their API to make the
reports universally compatible: https://store.kde.org/p/1206640/

As for embedding the formulas, that would definitely be a nice to have
but potentially also a nightmare to manage in C++. Python, on the
other hand, would be absolutely perfect for this, due to the number of
libraries readily available, e.g. http://docs.pyexcel.org/en/latest/

I recently suggested adding support for Python plugins as one of the
milestones for KMM:
https://invent.kde.org/office/kmymoney/-/milestones/4 . It actually
wouldn't be that difficult to implement, given that Krita already did
it and most of the work would be literally just copy-n-pasting.

Dawid