check printing - Kmymoney

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 1 14:41:39 BST 2020

Please keep the mailing list included.

On 6/30/20 2:39 PM, Bob M wrote:
> What version of KMM are you using, 4.12.5
That's not a version of KMM; it might be the version of some KDE
library.  You probably have 4.8.x.  Please confirm that, as there is
only a little continued support for version 4 on Windows.  Most
development in now working on 5.1.x.  You can try a newer version from
https://download.kde.org/stable/kmymoney/5.0.6/, which is the latest
stable build for Windows.
> and on what platform/OS/Distribution.  Not sure Windows 7?
"Support for *Windows 7* ended on January 14, 2020. If you are still
using *Windows 7*, your PC may become more vulnerable to security
risks." That is a direct quote from Microsoft, and if you are still on
Windows 7, you might consider upgrading, or even take this as an
opportunity to switch to Linux, but that's a completely separate discussion.
> The Check printing plugin should be in all versions.  To check, use
> the Setting/Configure KMyMoney menu item, and click the Plugins icon
> in the left panel.  There should be an entry for "Check printing" on
> the right, it should be checked, and clicking the wrench icon to the
> right should bring up another window showing the
> current template in use, as well as the directory where that template
> lives.  (I'll come back to that later.) no templates are listed
I'll guess that is a deficiency in how the Windows installer was built.
However, if you look in C:\Program Files\KMyMoney\share\ (I'm not
currently close to that VM, so it's from memory) there is a folder with
"check" in the name - the templates are in that folder.
> To test if it works at all,
> open a checking account in the ledger and select a single transaction.
> The last item on the Transaction menu (either from the menu bar or by
> right clicking on the transaction) should be "Print check."  In my very
> limited testing, the "Print check" entry is only available for payment
> transactions (not deposits) and I've found some cases where it is not
> enabled, but I would expect it to be, so I'll have to investigate
> further on the actual criteria.can't do this until template is found
>
> In order to make it print with all the fields in the correct position
> for your actual checks, you will need to copy the template file to a
> new name, and edit it to suit.  The template is an HTML file, with
> placeholders which KMM substitutes with the actual values of things
> like the Payee and amoubnt.  I know the documentation needs
> improvement on the details, and it is definitely on my list to do, but
> feel free to ask here if you have any specific questions.
>
> I think with the ability to print checks is all this program is
> missing and you could displace a lot of dissatisfied Quicken users
> very quickly. I am one of this users so please fix the check printing
> and I will buy this today
Buy what?  KMM is free (as in "free beer" as well as "free speech".)  In
general, check printing works fine for single checks, there is just a
packaging anomaly in (some?) Windows versions, so it doesn't seem to
know where it put the templates.  Let us (the list) know if you get this
working or not.  We can revisit the possibility of printing more than
one check at a time later.