Direct Connect Issue when buying bond

Brendan Coupe brendan at coupeware.com
Fri Nov 15 00:12:42 GMT 2019

I am running a recently compiled version of KMM from the master branch
on Fedora 31.

I purchased some bonds in my investment account and imported the
transactions using direct connect to my broker. There is an
inconsistency between the investment account and the associated
brokerage account.

The broker reports that I bought 1,000 shares at $100 for a total cost
of $1,000. This is clearly not what actually happened. I either bought
1,000 @ $1 or 10 @ $100. The total purchase is $100. These numbers are
rounded off for simplicity.

If I adjust the number of shares to 10 then it does not match on the
next import and I get duplicates. If I adjust the cost per share it
rounds off the last couple of digits but it does match on the next
import. Since all of the bonds are 100.xxx where xxx is not zero,
rounding off 2 digits changes the accuracy.

In the investment account the Quantity, Price and Amount columns show
1,000 / $100 / $1,000. The funds deducted from the brokerage account
also shows $1,000. The problem is that the total value in the
investment account appears to be calculated based on the number of
shares (1,000) rather than the Amount ($1,000) so it shows up as
$100,000 in my total investment account value. I'm guessing that the
account value is based on number of shares times the price that is was
imported at ($100). The price is not updated since there is no useful
symbol for the bonds.

When I import a bond purchase to an investment account the bonds
default to a Stock. Switching it to a Bond does not help. The same is
true for CDs.

I changed the price precision from 4 digits to 6 digits and then
manually updated the price to 1.000000 and it seems to work. This is
not ideal, I have a lot of CDs and bonds I need to do this for. it's
also not the right thing to do since the price is about $100.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if this is just the state of
investment accounts until that part of KMM is redone.

I just tried downloading the transactions in a CSV file. Even though
the web page says I bought 1M @ $100 the CSV file says I bought 10
shares @ $100. The OFX file shows <UNITS>1000</UNITS>.

I'm not sure why the broker is reporting 100 times more shares than
I'm actually buying both online and in the OFX file but not in the CSV
file.

----
Brendan Coupe