KMyMoney 5.0.5 released

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 11 18:32:34 BST 2019

To really understand all of this, you have to understand how git works,
and how it is usually used, especially in much larger projects than
KMM.  In general, master is the "most cutting edge" branch.  A developer
might create a separate branch for interim work on some large new
feature, where much of the time it is not expected to compile or to
work.  Once the feature mostly works, it is merged into master.  (The
criteria for "mostly" is up to each project team.)  Once a major release
of an application is ready, a separate branch is usually/often created.
For applications that have LTS versions, there may be a branch for the
LST version, the most recent version, and master.  (Actually branches
for the series, not the single version.)  Bug fixes are applied to the
branch for the version which has the bug, and then copied to branches
for later versions, unless the fix would no longer apply, due to code
changes or feature changes.  When master does not diverge very much from
a version branch, as is the case with KMM, commits can be made to either
master or 5.0.  The difference, as Thomas stated, has to do with the
effort of applying a commit from one branch to the other.  Applying a
single commit uses "cherry pick" which thus needs to be done for each
commit to be applied. On the other hand, if all recent commits in one
branch are to be applied to the other branch, it is easier to do a git
"merge."  In our case, merging 5.0 into master works fine.  However,
since there are some (even if not many) commits to master (new features
for example) which should NOT be copied back to 5.0, the merge cannot
safely be done in that direction.

Any given commit (bug fix) may be applied first to either 5.0 or master,
and the delay in it being copied to the other branch should rarely be
longer than a few days or a week, so the only time it really matters is
if you immediately want to test a given bug fix.  In that case, you do
need to pay attention to where it was committed.  However, as Thomas
also implied, versions compiled from master and 5.0 may not behave
exactly the same.  Although all the developers try to avoid any
significant breakage, it happens, but is more likely to happen in
master, or perhaps better stated less likely to happen in 5.0 branch.
(The difference is just a matter of perspective.)

Hopefully this adds some clarity, and doesn't just make more confusion.
Sorry to be so long-winded about this, but once you have been working
with git for a while, you sometimes forget that things were not at all
obvious when you started - it is only by actually working with it (and
making the occasional mistake) that you stop thinking about (or needing
to think about) the details.

Jack