Question about category ledger

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 14 18:40:57 GMT 2019

On 2019.01.14 13:15, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Montag, 14. Januar 2019 17:03:21 CET Jack wrote:

> > > That is a known issue and not easy to fix, as the drop down box
> only contains accounts and no categories. Not sure, how to fix this.
>> I could probably answer better once I get more familiar with the
>> code, but could there be two dropdowns, one with accounts, the other
>> with ledgers, and switch the widget as needed?
> The dropdown is fed with data by the accounts model. It is simply
> filtered by accounts and thus categories don't show. It's a matter of
> changing the filter to show categories as well, but then you can
> select them also and I don't know what side effects this will have.
It would be nice if the feed (or the display) could be filtered by
account type, and not just by the text box search, but that's a future
wish.

>> Or even switch the dropdown widget for a text label with the
>> specific category.  That would require going back to ledger view to
>> switch categories, but it might be an acceptable workaround.  How
>> different would all this be in the new ledger?
> Very different and probably easier.
Probably worth doing if trivial or close to, but I don't think worth
much effort now (see below.)

[snip discussion about matching]

>> I do still have to wonder why/how a dividend transaction would get
>> matched - if I re-import the same transaction it should be a
>> duplicate, but I suppose if the internal transaction ID used by
>> Merrill Lynch is not really fixed, then it would be seen as match
>> not duplicate.  I don't want to switch brokers because of this kind
>> of nonsense, but I'm considering it. :-)
> That is one of the mysteries of the OFX stuff which we need to fix.
Unfortunately, we can't fix it if we don't know what's wrong, and I
only understand/recognize some of ML's strangeness.  At some point, we
should start a more formal tracking of suggestions and requests - and
keep them separate for the overall rework of investment accounts, and
separately for OFX related issues.  (For example, I just discovered
that we ignore TRANSFER transactions, which I think should match easily
to add or remove shares.)

[snip more ...]

>> - the lack of category name in the account dropdown at the top of
>> the ledger is a known problem - perhaps I'll file a wishlist for it,
>> since any fix will not be trivial.
> We should tackle that with the new ledger view.
Agreed.  It's been in the current state for long enough, it is not
worth much effort with the old ledger code at this point.