bad transaction match on OFX import

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon Dec 16 07:58:29 GMT 2019

Jack,

On Montag, 16. Dezember 2019 01:29:32 CET Jack wrote:

> On 2019.12.15 16:48, Jack wrote:

> >> amount:

> >> Before you do, I have some more questions:
> >>
> >> - what type of matching do you use on both accounts (FITID or hash)?
> > FITID (and I'm quite sure these are consistent with Merrill Lynch)
> >> - in either case, what is the FITID/hash of the stored and the
> >> imported transaction   (I agree the hash for the imported
> >> transaction can become tricky, but you can    look into the
> >> kmm-statement....txt file)
>
> > Unfortunately, I had done some more work after the problem showed up
> > and before I started checking.  I do have an automatic save of 10
> > versions, but I really couldn't make any sense of what I was seeing.
> > I haven't given up on this, but at some point, I'm going to have to
> > find my most recent backup prior to the problem, do an import
> > including the first account with that transaction, then import for
> > the other account, keeping careful track of the actual transaction
> > records in the file at each step.   I'll post back when I have
> > something to act on.
> >>
> >> Is there a match?

> Very very strange.  I started with a backup from September.  I imported
> a downloaded OFX for 11/25 for the first account.  Transaction shown up
> in the .xml file showing the correct bankid, for one of the three
> splits.  Clear that transaction, and the reconcileflag for that split
> changes from 0 to 1, but the bankid is now blank.  Also, the split
> numbers changed.  If I now import the downloaded OFX file for that date
> for the second account, the console says it matched the transaction in
> the first account.  That account now shows the bankid for the second
> account as both the bankid for the split and for the match.

Yes, very strange. What do you mean by "the split numbers changed"? Do you refer to
the ID of the split? That is not important as long as the number of splits remains.
Seeing the bankId vanishing may explain the problem as it is now available for
matching to other transactions.

> I'll be glad to send a file with those three transaction versions if it
> would help.

Yes, please. Send to me as PM. Also, the version you do this with is important.

Can you duplicate the problem with the bankId disappearing? Maybe in an anonymized version
of your file? Then you can provide that file to me and I can take a look.

> By the way - I tried this with a clean file, and the second import did
> not match, it just imported to the second account.  I'll try a few more
> times, but this just doesn't make any sense to me.

An optimist laughs to forget.
A pessimist forgets to laugh.