new ofx import problem - duplicate transactions that shouldn't be

Jack Ostroff ostroffjh at aya.yale.edu
Sun Apr 28 19:08:27 BST 2019

I've been trying to update one of my investment accounts, and have been
having trouble with one particular transaction.  I've repeated the
direct connect import several times, and the transaction does not show
up in that account.  After finally repeating the import after launching
KMM from command line in order to see the import debug info, I think I
may have found a problem with the import matching code.  However, I'm
not sure if it is really a bug, or if Merrill Lynch has yet again done
something strange.

Background:  in a different investment account which I updated last
week (updating and reconciling for March) there was a dividend from a
particular stock on 3/14 for $9.20.  It turns out I own the same amount
of that stock in the account I'm working on now, and it also had a
dividend of the same amount on the same date.   The command line output
from trying to import that transaction is:

Process on: '2019-03-14', id: 'ID 20190314CA051225670881396', amount:
'9.20', fees: '0.00'
Looking for a match with transaction:  "2019-03-14" , "" , "-9.20"
(referenced account:  "Dividends" )
Considering 1 existing transaction(s) for matching
Detected transaction duplicate

If I look at the ledger for that category, I see a transaction for that
date and amount - and it is a matched transaction.  If I unmatch it, it
now correctly shows two "almost" identical transactions - the
difference is that they are for two different investment accounts.

Just to confirm, I did a manual OFX download from Merrill Lynch for all
dividend transactions for that date, and indeed, there are two - one
for each account, but with the same FITID value.  I'll call them Monday
to see what they have to say - but I suspect I won't even be able to
find someone who even understands what I'm talking about.

Regarding KMM behavior in this case - from the perspective of the
Dividends category, these do appear to be a duplicate transaction,
except that they are for two different investment accounts.  Should
this be something that should block being recognized as a duplicate, or
is it something I'll just have to live with?

As a somewhat separate question, if I repeat the same import, KMM
simply says no transactions imported.  Would it not be more accurate to
say that all the transactions were duplicates?  Otherwise, I never know
if it really processed all of them, or if something was wrong with the
import?