Citi Credit Card OFX Import Nightmare

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Apr 12 07:38:31 BST 2019

On Freitag, 12. April 2019 03:47:08 CEST Brendan Coupe wrote:

> I do not get a choice for matching when I open the OFX file directly
> from Firefox. This combined with KMM not remembering which method I'm
> using for each account means I have to save the file when open it from
> KMM and remember to switch to the hash option. Not as easy as when
> direct connect worked:-(

Thanks for the feedback, I almost expected that there might be another gap somewhere. You found it.

> If there was a way to set the matching method for each account even
> when they are not mapped to an online account it would help. Since
> this setting is on the Online Settings tab which is not visible when
> the account is not mapped it would have to be handled differently for
> unmapped accounts.
>
> Maybe show the Online settings tab with the three tabs for all
> accounts and disable everything but the bottom half of the Import
> Details sub tab when it's not mapped. All three "Import options" are
> useful for manual imports.

Not as easy as it might seem. We cannot simply show the tab for each account as this tab depends on the online banking backend and it looks completely different for the KBanking backend. The selection of the backend is part of the mapping process.

Another solution to the problem would be to show the file open dialog for OFX files even when starting from the web browser. The file name would be prefilled with the location of the temp file provided by the browser and one could select the options just the same way as if you manually save the file. Would that make sense? I could even try to disable the file selection widgets in this case (but no guarantee that this will work). I still need to check if that is feasible at all.

Thomas

Laziness led to the invention of the most useful tools.