Should it be possible to buy shares of a closed equity account?

Jack Ostroff ostroffjh at aya.yale.edu
Mon Nov 12 23:48:26 GMT 2018

I was just reconciling my investment account (confirming number of
shares held) and my statement shows a number of shares of a stock which
did not appear in the investments list for that account.  I went back
to the ledger, and found the buy shares transaction, which shows a
balance of the same number of shares bought (in the past month.)  When
I searched for all transactions for that equity, I discovered that all
shares owned were sold last year.  At that point, I apparently closed
the equity account to prevent it from cluttering up my listings.  This
month's OFX download included the purchase, leading to my owning shared
in a closed account.

If an import includes a purchase of shares in an existing but closed
equity, what is the proper way to handle it?  Just completing the
purchase does NOT seem correct to me, as I assume I would not be able
to close the account with shares present.  Should it just automatically
reopen the account?  With or without some notification?  Should I file
a bug to track this?

Opinions?