problem(s) with investment reports

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 17 20:46:10 UTC 2018

I'm trying to clean up several messes in my data related to investment
accounts.  I have several cases where I have multiple securities when I
should have reused one when the same fund was purchased in a different
account.  I know some of these were automatically created during OFX
import, but even there, I don't know if the problem was that the import
simply didn't give me the opportunity to reuse an existing security, or
if there was something about the Merrill Lynch OFX that caused the
importer to create a new security.

Anyway, I'm trying to get a report or listing of all transactions for
all such equities, without much successs.

I can do some of what I want with the transaction search, but not all.
I have tried both transaction and investment reports, and have found
problems with both.  First, neither seems to include ALL transactions.
For example, I can't find a way to include add shares or remove shares,
and that makes it hard for me to keep a correct running balance of
shares.  Also, the balance column seems to represent the cash used to
pay for the shares (I don't know or really care at this point whether
it takes share price into account) but what I want is a running balance
of number of shares, not of their value.  In addition, I can't seem to
include the name of the investment account in the report anywhere, so
I'm left having to figure it out by hunting for which account holds
which securities.

Am I missing something, or do I just need to file more wishlists, and
create a script (probably Perl) to do custom, sequential grepping
through the gunzipped kmy file?

Thanks for any pointers.