Future of Alkimia

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Jun 20 12:02:54 UTC 2018

Am 05.05.2018 um 17:54 schrieb Christian David:
> Hello Ralf,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 12. April 2018, 17:09:16 CEST schrieb Ralf Habacker:
>> Another option would be make it more interesting for other projects by
>> adding more stuff into.
>
> Do not get me wrong, I still think the original ideas are very good [1].
> However, there were no development on features for eight years, why should it
> happen now or in future?
I cannot answer this question for the past, but there seem to be
corresponding requirements now.
Let me give you an example: In the last six months, online pricing
services have changed a lot. The current implementation requires a new
version of KMyMoney to be made available when services are changed or
users must manually change the regular expressions for service
definitions in their installation, which is error-prone.

Skrooge continues at this point: configurations for quotation services
are stored in the KDE store (see https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/339/).
Users can access a list of available services within the application and
install or update them. This makes it easier to keep the services up to
date.
You can now implement the import of your own and/or Skrooge online
services in KMymoney, but then you already have two implementations,
which would have to be adjusted when extending the format (e.g. for
better recognition of service types such as stocks, price conversions).
It would be better to store the necessary code to access these services
in the alkimia repo and use the corresponding classes in Skrooge,
KMyMoney and maybe other applications.

Ralf