new configure problem (git master head) possible cmake bug?

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Jun 17 15:21:34 UTC 2018

Jack,

On Sonntag, 17. Juni 2018 16:55:06 CEST Jack wrote:

> On 2018.06.16 02:13, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> > On Samstag, 16. Juni 2018 00:45:38 CEST Jack Ostroff wrote:
> >
> >> Recently, I've been playing with some informal comparisons between
> >> make and ninja as build system, and between gcc and clang as
> >> compiler.  I have a sense that ninja is a bit faster, although I've
> >> also been trying cccache, which make a great difference if doing
> >> clean compiles but with only minor changes in configure parameters.
> > >
> >> However, starting about two days ago, several builds ended up not
> >> having libofx clientuid capability, which is absolutely essential
> >> for me, and which has worked fine for quite a long time.  I started
> >> digging into the code, and I did notice two recent commits in CMake
> >> files related to libofx.  However, nothing made any sense, until I
> >> realized that what happened was that all my compiles using "make"
> >> failed to find clientuid support, but my compiles with "ninja" did
> >> find it.  Note that terminology is not quite accurate, since the
> >> success or failure was all within the cmake/ccmake run, before
> >> either make or ninja was involved. I'm guessing this is a bug within
> >> cmake itself, but I'm stumped as to how to create a small test case.
> > >
> >> Question: is there anyone compiling from source who has found the
> >> problem with cmake not finding clientuid support, where it was
> >> previously found?  I'm really not sure if one of the cmake related
> >> commits tripped over some sort of edge case,
> > >
> >> I did reinstall cmake on 23 May, but it was just a reinstall of the
> >> same version 3.9.6 I originally installed on 27 Dec.  I'm going to
> >> try a newer version of cmake, but would love to find I'm not the
> >> only one who has gotten caught by this.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any ideas.
> > >
> > > Jack
> >
> > Can you check if the attached patch makes a difference, please?
>
> Yes, it works.  Thanks.

I added it to master.

> Now I'm curious why it worked when preparing for Ninja but not for
> make.  I also don't seem to follow the logic of why it didn't find the
> clientuid support, but DID find libofx.

Because the variable LIBOFX_INCLUDE_DIR was not set (only LIBOFX_INCLUDE_DIRS was by PKG_CHECK_MODULES). So it checked for the clientuid structure member in a file /libofx/libofx.h which was not found.

Why it worked for the ninja generator? I don't know. This is cmake magic. I also don't know, why for FreeBSD you need to have PC_OFX instead of LIBOFX. This is another mistery to me.

Thomas

https://www.telegram.org/       Telegram, the better WhatsApp
Memory's the second thing to go ... Can't remember the first.