new configure problem (git master head) possible cmake bug?

Jack Ostroff ostroffjh at aya.yale.edu
Fri Jun 15 22:45:38 UTC 2018

Recently, I've been playing with some informal comparisons between make
and ninja as build system, and between gcc and clang as compiler.  I
have a sense that ninja is a bit faster, although I've also been trying
cccache, which make a great difference if doing clean compiles but with
only minor changes in configure parameters.

However, starting about two days ago, several builds ended up not
having libofx clientuid capability, which is absolutely essential for
me, and which has worked fine for quite a long time.  I started digging
into the code, and I did notice two recent commits in CMake files
related to libofx.  However, nothing made any sense, until I realized
that what happened was that all my compiles using "make" failed to find
clientuid support, but my compiles with "ninja" did find it.  Note that
terminology is not quite accurate, since the success or failure was all
within the cmake/ccmake run, before either make or ninja was involved.
I'm guessing this is a bug within cmake itself, but I'm stumped as to
how to create a small test case.

Question: is there anyone compiling from source who has found the
problem with cmake not finding clientuid support, where it was
previously found?  I'm really not sure if one of the cmake related
commits tripped over some sort of edge case,

I did reinstall cmake on 23 May, but it was just a reinstall of the
same version 3.9.6 I originally installed on 27 Dec.  I'm going to try
a newer version of cmake, but would love to find I'm not the only one
who has gotten caught by this.

Thanks for any ideas.