Encryption Nightmare - I can't turn it off

Brendan Coupe brendan at coupeware.com
Mon Dec 3 01:22:55 GMT 2018

Here are the steps I took and the results:

Starting with encryption turned off in the XML settings I copied a working
KMM file that was not encrypted and called it Test.kmy.

I turned on encryption in the XML settings. Made a change and saved the
file with the same name using Save not Save as. The file did not get
encrypted.

I then used Save as and used the same file name and it was saved with
encryption. At this point KMM could not open the file since it was
encrypted (the ultimate problem for another day but not what I'm dealing
with here).

I decrypted it manually, opened it in KMM (encryption was still off in the
XML settings). I saved the file and it was encrypted so I could not open it
in KMM.

I manually decrypted it and opened it in KMM. I used Save as to save it
with the same name. It still was encrypted.

I decrypted it manually, opened it in KMM and used Save as to save it with
the xml file extension, Test.xml.

Test.xml was not encrypted. I opened it and used Save as to save it with
the name Test.kmy and it was saved without being encrypted.

Long story short if you ever encrypt a file you have to turn off
encryption, save it with the xml file extension and then open that file and
save it with the kmy file extension in order to stop encrypting the file
every time you save it.

This is not obvious nor ideal.

----
Brendan Coupe