more details on recent problem with ofx import not remembering brokerage account

Jack Ostroff ostroffjh at aya.yale.edu
Tue Aug 14 00:15:28 BST 2018

I'm trying to create a small test kmy file which shows the problem of
KMM asking for the brokerage account every time I do an ofx import for
my investment accounts.  So far, I can't reproduce it, but I do have a
different problem.  I created a new kmy file with a checking account,
and then created an investment account with brokerage account.  I have
two ofx files I downloaded from Merrill Lynch, for different dates,
each with several banking type transactions, but no actual investment
transactions.  When I import them, KMM prompts me for the investment
account to import into, not the brokerage account.

One thing I find very odd - I downloaded an ofx from Merrill Lynch
(actually in this particular case, I extracted the <OFX>......</OFX>
from ofxlog.txt.  If I import this into my main kmy file, it prompts me
to identify the checking account (with no identifying info) to import
into.  If I import it into the test file I just created, it prompts for
the investment account to import into, and does show it is from Merrill
Lynch, and shows the account number.   What could be the difference
between two kmy files, so importing the same ofx file gives two
different prompts for identifying the account into which to import?