Online-imported Transactions

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 17 15:13:28 UTC 2018

On 2018.04.16 23:20, Rob Tongue wrote:
> Hi, just a quick question... I am manually entering transactions,
> then matching with aqbanking... the problem is, it changes the date
> to the posted date of the transaction, not when I actually made a
> purchase... is that intended behavior?  If so, for my benefit, I
> could use an explanation as to why, in case I am misunderstanding a
> use case.  Thanks!
>
> - Rob
Hi Rob,

KMM itself has no concept of actual vs posting date.  There is just one
date on a transaction.  Unfortunately, most institutions provide
download data with the posting date.  KMM is not preferring the post
date, but is using the imported date.  I don't remember if there is
already a wish list or not filed at bugs.kde.org to create a user
preference to specify whether the imported or manually entered date be
used in such cases.

I could also imagine filing a wish list for transactions to have both
actual and posting dates, but I doubt this would get much of a
priority, and it would likely complicate the reconciliation process.

I have actually asked my credit card company about whether they could
provide download by transaction date, and the customer service rep
sounded like she didn't really even understand what I was talking about.

Also - there is a philosophical debate about which date you should
use.  If you think the KMM account represents your personal view of the
account, then it should use transaction date.  If you think it
represents the institution's view of the account, then posting date
makes more sense.  Neither is more "correct" than the other - they just
represent different views of the data.