windows magic (not?)

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sun Sep 10 15:24:03 UTC 2017

Am 09.09.2017 um 21:58 schrieb Jack Ostroff:
> On 9/8/2017 6:47 PM, Jack wrote:
>> I'm away from home, with my Windows laptop, and I want to check
>> something in my kmy file, which I have a copy of.  I downloaded the
>> windows installer from the link on the home page and ran it. I have
>> now clicked on the icon; I have tried to launch from cmd; I have
>> tried to launch from ConEmu; I have tried to launch from a Cygwin
>> shell - all multiple times.  In a few cases, I think I may have seen
>> some window flash briefly on the screen.  Other than that I have
>> nothing.  No windows, no evidence of files created.
>>
>> Am I missing something?  I really didn't think there was anything
>> magic about this.  I've done it in the past, but not recently.  I
>> have checked that there are no remnants of an old install anywhere I
>> can find.
>>
>> The laptop is an HP Compaq Presario, running an updated Windows 7
>> Professional.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
> Thanks to a suggestion from Ralf, I used dbgview from Microsoft to
> determine KMM was failing to launch because it couldn't find dbus.
I did not build the 4.8.0 installer but I guess that it contains a
bundled dbus installation which should work out of the box. In kdelibs
there is support  to autostart dbus and required KDE background
processes on starting kmymoney.exe. This can be checked manually by

1. Open a command shell in the bin dir of the kmymoney installation
2. run kdeinit4 --list

There should be at least listed dbus-daemon, klauncher and kded4

If this is not the case those processes can be started manually with running

   kdeinit4 --verbose

This should print messages about launching dbus-launch, klauncher, and
kded4.

In case dbus-daemon did not come up, please start dbgview and run in the
above mentioned command shell:

set DBUS_VERBOSE=1
dbus-launch

dbgview should now dump all dbus related messages, in which a line
containing 'We are on D-Bus...' indicates that dbus is running.

To verify that the above mentioned steps are  working I installed
kmymoney 4.8.0 on a Windows 7 64bit system and got not dbus problems.

Ralf