windows magic (not?)

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Sep 9 19:59:11 UTC 2017

On 9/8/2017 6:47 PM, Jack wrote:
> I'm away from home, with my Windows laptop, and I want to check
> something in my kmy file, which I have a copy of.  I downloaded the
> windows installer from the link on the home page and ran it. I have
> now clicked on the icon; I have tried to launch from cmd; I have tried
> to launch from ConEmu; I have tried to launch from a Cygwin shell -
> all multiple times.  In a few cases, I think I may have seen some
> window flash briefly on the screen.  Other than that I have nothing.
> No windows, no evidence of files created.
>
> Am I missing something?  I really didn't think there was anything
> magic about this.  I've done it in the past, but not recently.  I have
> checked that there are no remnants of an old install anywhere I can find.
>
> The laptop is an HP Compaq Presario, running an updated Windows 7
> Professional.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
Thanks to a suggestion from Ralf, I used dbgview from Microsoft to
determine KMM was failing to launch because it couldn't find dbus. I
think there is a timing issue involved, because of how many attempts it
took, but I finally did manage to use ConEmu to get dbus-launch working,
and then get kmymoney launched successfully right afterwards.  I suppose
I'll have to bring it up with KDE-Windows, but I'm curious why the
KMyMoney for windows installs about 150 exe files (separate from almost
as many .dll files) but the icon doesn't actually launch the program (at
least not for me - although it does work now, now that dbus is running.)